Menu Plan Monday 4/23/18



This cake I purchased from Aldi is still number one on my list of non homemade sweets.  Lucky for me the time of year rolled around and my store had plenty of stock.  Actually, this cake is not overly sweet which might just be the reason that I am in love with all of its cakey goodness.  The whipped cream layer is not fake, the cherry layer has whole fruit that is more tart than sweet, the cake is a perfect moist sponge, and the chocolate coating...well its chocolate.   In my mind, this delightful combination is the perfect dessert that isn't either too rich nor too sweet.  

We ate well last week, combining some old favorites with one standout recipe that will repeat for sure be on our menu many times in the future.  The haluski (I halved the recipe) that we ate with the Juicy Lucy Burgers was my favorite meal!

Obviously, this photo isn't from the meal we ate, but I did use the same type of cheese.  White American is perfect for stuffing burgers.  It is melty and stays inside of the burgers where it belongs.  Allowing the burgers to rest for the obligatory 5-10 minutes is almost torture.  I didn't get a picture of the haluski...probably wouldn't have been too appetizing anyway but the taste was great.

Using up the leftover ham became pretty important on Monday, and rather than make the bean soup that I had planned, I made an old standby, barbequed ham.  I don't think I have ever shared my so called recipe for this but it really couldn't be easier.  Add 2-3 cups of cubed leftover ham to a skillet and pour 3/4 cup of your favorite sauce over the ham.  Add a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce, stir to combine.  Heat over medium until the ham is hot and bubbly.  Occasionally we use leftover hamburger buns to make a sandwich, but usually we add a starch and vegetable and call it dinner.

I made ham stock with the remaining bits of ham and the bone.  I put them in the crock pot and just covered the bone with water and simmered the broth for 24 hours.  I then strained and cooled the stock and stored in the refrigerator until the next day.  When I was ready to use the stock, I removed the fat and again put the liquid in the crock pot.  Instead of bean soup, I made split pea soup.  It was tasty and worked perfectly as the weather cooled down for probably the last time until the Fall.


I used all of the ham for the two recipes above, nixing the idea of Bucatini, Ham, and Asparagus.  I'll put this on my plan for next time I bake a ham.  Last week when I was chopping vegetables and trying my best to be organized, my son made this Southwest marinade.  He simply took some chicken that was in the freezer placed the parts and the marinade in a new freezer bag.  On Tuesday night, I put the bag in the refrigerator for a slow defrost.  We had grilled chicken, roasted green beans, and rice for dinner on Wednesday.  I cooked extra chicken and used it for my version of this recipe this past weekend. 



We had leftovers one night, and Friday I had two over medium eggs on top of matzo.  I have just discovered the crispy matzo bread that will now remain part of my life forever.  I was listening to a podcast and heard the show's host talking about matzo bread topped with butter.  I tried it and now I'm hooked.  Big fan, big fan!


Here's what is up for next week.  Sometimes I'm not even sure why I bother planning because I don't usually follow my own self direction😉
At least I know I have all the ingredients necessary to make something for dinner.  Otherwise, it would be scrambled/fried eggs on matzo for the foreseeable future.

SUNDAY
Grilled Corn
Skillet Okra
Rhubarb Strawberry Turnovers



MONDAY
Image result for tabby treats taco salad

TUESDAY
Image result for free pictures of pasta aglio e olio
Leftover Green Salad
Garlic Toast

WEDNESDAY
Roasted Green Beans

THURSDAY
Baked Potatoes
Roasted Asparagus

I have no plans past Thursday because Friday I am leaving on a well anticipated trip to Ireland.  My adult son will be home and can fend for himself.  There will be leftovers and a full freezer and frig available to him, however the chances of Zaxby's, McDonalds, or other take out meal are pretty high.  He really is a great cook and a much better baker than I am.  However, he has inherited his Mom's dislike of dishes and tends to avoid making any at all costs.  
I can't wait to share the pictures from my upcoming trip with you all.  I am traveling with friends who have been to Dublin a few times in the past, which makes me anticipate the trip even more.  They know the best places to go and I get to benefit from their knowledge!
Have a great week.

This post is linked to orgjunkie.com





Comments