Crazy Cooking Challenge--Spaghetti with Red Sauce

The original recipe picture

While I was perusing the internet looking for a recipe for this month's challenge....I decided to give a meat free although non vegetarian option a try.  You see, my family loves our meatless recipe for lentil tacos, so when I came across this recipe for lentil spaghetti sauce....it was a natural progression, for us.  Thanks to A Little Bit Crunchy A Little Rock n' Roll for sharing this unique take on a classic!


Here is the original recipe with the changes I made...



Lentil Spaghetti Sauce
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil--I added 1 tbs butter to the pan in addition to olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced--I used about 6
1 1/2 cup lentils, rinsed
4 cups vegetable broth--I used beef broth because I had some in the frig
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper--I used 1 tsp
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried oregano
a pinch of sea salt
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (28oz) can whole tomatoes, undrained--I used 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
1 tsp vinegar--I used about 1 tbs (it was an accident, but still tasted great)
1/4 cup fresh minced parsley--didn't have any.

The following directions are those that I followed which are very similar to the original recipe, however this is the original.  Heat the olive oil and butter in a large saucepan, add onions, green pepper, and garlic.  Saute vegetables until soft and the onion is translucent.  Add basil, oregano, black and crushed red peppers, and salt.  Stirring frequently, allow the spices to become fragrant (about 1 minute).  Add lentils to the pan and stir until thoroughly coated with the olive oil spice mixture (1-2 minutes).  Pour beef broth over mixture and allow to come to a full boil.  Reduce heat and cover.  Lentils should simmer for about 20 minutes or until tender.
In a 4 quart slow cooker, place lentils, tomatoes, and paste, cook on low for 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally.  Feel free to add some water or broth to the sauce if its too thick for your family's tastes.  Prior to serving add the vinegar and stir it in.  Serve with long noodles and grated parmesan cheese.



served with steamed broccoli, and garlic bread

oops....I forgot to get a picture with the
grated cheese :)

A twist on your typical red sauce, that surprised my family with its richness and "meaty" texture.  
For "mainly" meat eaters...give this one a try.....I think you'll be surprised.  Thanks for stopping by today!



Photobucket


Comments

  1. I've never used lentils...this might have to be the recipe that get's me started!
    #29

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lentils so I'm going to have to give this one a try. Pinning for sure.

    I hope you'll stop by and visit my CCC - Spaghetti Pie

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make slow cooker lentil sloppy joes (uses cider vinegar, yum!) so why not spaghetti sauce? I'll have to give your recipe a try! #44 (lots of meat)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow never would have thought to use lentils. I have 3 bags in my pantry, long story definitely trying this one. #43

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the use of lentils, looks delicious.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my CCC entry: Tomato Sauce with Onion & Butter.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried lentils, but they sure look good in this sauce. Looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment