Menu Plan Monday 8/28/17

I cooked last week and enjoyed just about everything I made....except the sloppy joes.  I have decided that I just don't really like them.  The recipe was good, the flavor was good, but if I'm going to eat a lovely bun and all the empty calories that go with said bun, then I need to go all out and eat a real burger patty along with it.  Lesson learned...at least until the next time I decide to try again.  

LAST WEEK'S HIGHLIGHTS

I loved, loved this recipe and plan to make this whenever a "chicken and rice" craving hits.  Ty doesn't care for traditional chicken and rice and this is a substitute I can happily live with.  I used the rotisserie chicken breasts for the papperdelle pasta I made last week, and added the leftover chopped dark meat from that same chicken to complete this one dish meal.  Two meals with one chicken.  Cheap and tasty.

Crockpot Sloppy Joes that I made on top of the stove just didn't work for me, but if you are a fan, use this recipe.  It is solid.
Sloppy Joes topped with blue cheese crumbles on lightly toasted ciabatta buns should have been a hit, but sadly, no.


This Jamaican Jerk seasoning is the bomb on boneless, skinless chicken thighs.  They grill up really quickly which is a bonus for a weeknight meal.  Just remember a little seasoning goes a long way especially if you are a wimp like me with the heat.


Instead of grilling the pork chops like I had planned...since I ran out of propane...I made another one pan meal.  I loosely followed the recipe for Spicy Sausage Pasta for the liquid/pasta ratios but added bits of almost too bad to use veggies.  I also chopped the leftover Jerk chicken to use as the protein for my meat loving son.

Tater Tot Casserole what can I say?  It is delicious.  It satisfies all of the required comfort food elements.  Meaty, carby, cheesy, casserole goodness.  As a side note, the weatherman was correct {surprise, surprise} and it rained on the day that I planned to make this so the oven didn't make the temperature in the house unbearable.  I love when a plan comes together.

The food I prepared this last week really can't be classified as healthy but it certainly was easy to make.  I was able to have each dinner made and the dishes done before 6:30pm.  We even ate vegetables although sadly, no salad.  I hope to rectify the no salad thing this upcoming week though, and I bought lots of vegetables to top the greens.  I haven't done anything with the figs I bought BOGO yet, but I need to use them soon.  Semi healthy dessert, anyone??

THIS WEEK'S OPTIONS:

**BLT Dogs--Since I ran out of propane, these were off of my option list last week, but will turn up some time in the next few days, I'm sure.

**Brined Grilled Pork Chops--Definitely this!

**Bucatini All'Amatriciana--I have so many tomatoes that need to be used.

**Chicken Picatta with Crispy Garlic--Probably with potatoes or rice instead of pasta.

**Turkey Lentil Tacos--With ground chicken instead of turkey.

**Skillet Chicken and Zucchini Enchiladas--I have some corn tortillas that need to be used...but this is a maybe recipe.

**Parmesan Crusted Tilapia with Homemade Tartar Sauce


These are our options for dinner at home this week.  We may eat out once if my older son and his fiance are able to join us, but sometimes coordinating all of our schedules can be like scheduling an international summit. 

Have a wonderful week ;)




Bucatini All'Amatriciana / Photo by Chelsea Kyle, Prop Styling by Alex Brannian, Food Styling by Grace Parisi

Comments