Menu Plan Monday 1/11/16

My desire to meal plan has been waning in recent months and now that Ty has returned to college my desire is even less.  However, my desire to eat at home and cook for myself hasn't diminished at. all. My mindset recently has been that it takes so much time to shop and make sure all of the ingredients that are needed to make a complete meal {or better said the meal I want} are available in my cupboard for just me.  It feels like all that work isn't worth the hassle {truly not whining}.  So...I went looking for an easier way and thought I had found the perfect solution.  I received a valuable coupon valid towards the first week of the meal delivery service Hello Fresh and with a little research, {and a firm grasp of the knowledge required to cancel said service} I signed up to receive my first week of meals.  I chose the classic box meant to feed two people for three meals.
I
They came in a larger package with the meat on the bottom closest to the ice packs.
I made this first.
The gravy for the pot pie was delicious..but it truly will feed at least 3 adults.
This result in too many leftovers for one person, not a problem if you have a large appetite or plan to eat the same thing for a couple of days.
I'm not a super big fan of meatballs, but the other options for the week were fish and a pasta dish that I am completely capable of making on my own.
Tasty, but still, leftovers for days are on my horizon.  I roasted some green beans on the side for this meal....felt like I needed some veggies.
I was anticipating that this would be my favorite meal and I was right.  It was the best!
The chopping prep was simple.
The pork was moist and flavorful with the simple butter sauce.  I would so eat this again and I don't even mind the leftovers.  This meal actually is meant to serve two people.


The way these meals work are that everything is included in the box with the exception of salt, pepper, oil, and butter.  The recipes, while really tasty, aren't made for the inexperienced cook. If I didn't have a good knowledge of the basics, the estimated preparation time would be double what the instructions give.  Also expect to fill your sink with a good amount of dishes {and we know I'm a fan of doing dishes and unloading the dishwasher, lol}.  On the plus side, since I'm really picky about the meat that I purchase, the ones that were sent were high quality and low in excess fat or yukky stuff {technical term for gristle}.  To be honest, I probably wouldn't have ordered the next week's box if the opportunity to make more than one of the recipes had been possible prior to the deadline.  The effort required to make each meal is extensive, compared to my normal routine.  My box was delivered on Wednesday and you must choose your menu and/or cancel the next week's delivery by midnight of the same day. Understandable for the company because it allows them to prepare and pretty much guarantees that they receive at least two weeks orders from a new customer.  

Next week, I'll be eating:
  • Chicken Milanese with Crispy Potatoes, Mixed Greens, and Creamy Lemon-Chive DressingChicken Milanese with Crispy Potatoes and Mixed Greens
  • Pan-Seared Steak with Roasted Butternut Squash and Green Beans AlmondinePan Seared Steak and Roasted Butternut Squash
  • Tuscan Sausage Linguine with Zucchini, Chilies, and ParmesanTuscan Sausage Linguine with Zucchini (bad choice for me)
I'm taking a break the next week to decide if this is really a time saver for me or if I can prepare quicker meals with fewer leftovers on my own.  If you aren't a fan of shopping the grocery store or just don't want to meal plan, this service would be a lifesaver.  If I still had boys playing sports three to five nights a week, I would be a loyal customer.

Yogurt and turkey wraps {along with leftovers} will be lunches this week.  I have also discovered that two boiled eggs makes a super filling breakfast that is much lower in calories than my usual Kind bar. I boil four at a time, peel and refrigerate, adding salt and pepper on the morning I take them to work. This idea is so simple that I hope I don't get tired of this too quickly.

Last week we also had a birthday party for Ty, who turned 19 years old!  He's my favorite youngest son ;o)

Look at that outfit...Chubbies, Chacos, and silly socks...what a fashion plate.

Delicious Raspberry Chocolate Cake

Have a great week.
This post is linked to orgjunkie.com


Comments