Things my blog won't pull up in a self directed search, Weekly Recipe Review

I've noticed that I always have problems looking up some of the recipes I post even when I type the name exactly as I typed it in the original post.  Huh?  I'm not sure why this is but I know that I want to make Cheesy Bacon Lentils again and again so....I'm typing the name without and with the link so I can find it again when I'm ready to soak 'em up.  Soaking the lentils prior to cooking made the biggest difference in the tenderness of them and also eased the digestibility. That is a an A+ positive for me.  Here are the changes that I made which made me love, love, love this dish.  Honestly, no one was home to eat and I didn't share with my boys that this simple dish was de-licious but let me tell you when I returned home from working a weekend morning, over half of the leftovers had disappeared.  Hmmm....I halved the recipe so next time I'll make the full amount so leftovers will be guaranteed.  I don't want to misplace this one and I definitely don't want to search my own blog to find this recipe since we know my flair for improvisation.  For this one, I want the proportions right.  


I'm pretty sure if you've read my blog over the last couple of weeks then you know I'm in love with this salad too! This spinach salad with strawberries and mandarin oranges is seriously so delicious.


I liked this Steak Lover's Meatloaf but my kids prefer the one I normally make....I dunked mine in ketchup and the flavor profile was complete.  Maybe I'll tweak this one a bit and add some of the red stuff to the mix.  Definitely one to attempt to adjust to our family's tastes.


My Grandmother's recipe for blueberry cobbler (known as Doobee or Granny's Doobee in our part of the south...lol) is one that has stood the test of time and using "homemade" self rising flour worked out fantastic.  I don't think I've made one this good in years.  The recipe is simply as follows:
Mix 1 cup self rising flour, 1 cup whole milk or half and half, and 3/4 cup sugar in a mixing bowl. Melt 1 stick of butter in an approximate 8x8 dish or oval equivalent in the oven (that should be pre heating to 350).  Remove the pan from the oven and pour the batter on the top of the butter (don't worry it won't look like it's distributed evenly and that is a tongue twister :).  Using 2 cups of frozen or fresh berries with the desired amount of sugar sprinkled over and allowed to macerate (good word, huh? Do this prior to making the batter).  Put the fruit on top of the batter evenly distributing (you can use more fruit or less depending on your preference of fruit to cake ratio). Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 55 minutes or until golden (possibly a little darker) brown.  This picture is horrible and we've eaten over half of it...sorry.


Let's see, the next thing I made was the Cheesy Party Burgers that I found on Kevin and Amanda's site.  They were absolutely delicious and even held up really well when I packed them in my lunch for the next day.  This recipe will be in my repertoire (another good word, huh?) for get togethers or shindigs as we call them around here.  I didn't use the Rotel tomatoes replacing them with chopped grape tomatoes (I was worried the dish would be soggy).  I also used a mix of white american slices and plain 'ole american yellow (unnatural orange) cheese slices.  Simple to make and tastes great, especially if you like the sweet/savory thing.



Oh my word, this Thai Pizza was fantastic and even though it required a few more steps than I like to do during the week (I hate grating anything and this one required cheese and carrots to be done). You truly could do all of the prep work on the weekend when you have the time.  You could even make the peanut sauce a few days in advance, just remember to take it out of the frig to allow it to soften up before attempting to spread on the crust.  Speaking of crust, I purchased a thin crust (Aldi brand...which is great)  but you could absolutely make your own if you desire and even pre bake it and freeze to make for a quicker meal.  Regardless of how you get there, make this recipe if you like Thai inspired dishes.


Regardless of the picture you see below, this Ravioli with Italian sausage in a white wine sauce is one of our family favorites.  I change a few of the ingredients (add more meat for my carnivores, basically I double it) and make a little more sauce to make it more appealing to my family but this Publix Apron's recipe is a keeper.


My picture


Publix's picture



That's it for my recipe review this week.  Since this is Memorial Day Weekend and Tan's Birthday Weekend, I'll be cooking some other things (not quite so exoctic or for that matter healthy).  Stay tuned for next week's review.





Comments