Coconut Yogurt vs Almond Yogurt Review

I'm doing this non dairy thing, right?  And the one thing I haven't told ya is that I'm in love with regular whole milk greek yogurt....but, I haven't eaten any in one solid week.  No big deal since I'm only in the infancy of my diet change although I knew I needed to find a substitute that I can live with to keep me from falling off the wagon..  This led to taste testing some different brands that were available in my tiny health food store that is local.  I tried an almond milk based brand and a coconut milk based brand.



 Almond Milk 
The texture was quite thick and paste like and the flavor caused my jaw to contract as if I'd eaten twenty lemons at once (I only drink lemon water so that wasn't the issue).  In my head I was busy formulating ways to get over the fact that lunch is not complete without a yogurt product and the wheels were already turning to find some suitable substitute.  I had decided to purchase vanilla or plain versions so I would be able to really confirm or deny my like/love/hate for these products.  So vanilla it was for the almond.


Coconut Milk
With some trepidation, I tried the coconut.  The texture of this one was similar to the almond but the taste was much more palatable even though there wasn't any flavor added.  After one bite I made a take out container for my lunch the next day.
Coconut Greek Style Plain with Homemade Strawberries, Jam, and Flax Seed
I used half of the plain carton with a teaspoon of homemade strawberry jam, 1/2 cup fresh strawberries and topped it off with 1/2 teaspoon of flax seeds.  I'm in love with this.  The only negative as far as I'm concerned is the fact that I have to layer this myself instead of grabbing a pre made container out of the frig.  I'm saving calories as half of the carton is only about 65 and my usual greek yogurt contained from 150-170 per carton. I'm not feeling deprived and that's a good thing.  I may have had a bad experience with the first flavor and I'm certain I will try some other types and flavors when I have the opportunity to make it to the neighboring town for a more varied selection.


For this challenge, coconut rules.....almond drools.  I'm such a geek, lol




Comments