Adobe Chicken Casserole Review



I really had planned on eating cereal last night, but boy #1 called and said he would be home for dinner.  As you know, my frig is completely packed with all the food that I have bought over the last few weeks and since he was eating dinner tonight......well I decided to make the easiest thing that I had a link for.  I now know what to make when I'm feeling lazy ;p
Of course, I changed the recipe "slightly" due to me being me...so feel free to follow the original or make your own substitutions.  Our version was really tasty!

Adobe Chicken Casserole
2 cups Roasted Chicken Breasts cubed
2-3 cups Yellow Rice (cooked in chicken stock)
1 can Rotel Lime and Cilantro tomatoes, drained
2 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Sliced Avocado
Sour Cream

This recipe, for me, turned out to be an idea rather than a strict guideline.  I roasted chicken breasts on my last day off and packaged them in approximately 2 cup amounts for the freezer.  I took the bones and skin and boiled them to make a rich chicken stock.  After that, with this recipe in mind, I cooked a package of yellow rice (the larger one on the shelf at the grocery store with seasonings in the package) in some of the chicken stock I made. Instead of the 2 1/2 cups of liquid that the rice normally calls for, I used approximately 3 1/2 cups of chicken stock.  After the rice cooled, I put it in a container and left it in the frig overnight.  Then when I got home yesterday, I popped the chicken in the microwave to defrost.  I also mixed the tomatoes, rice, and 1 cup of the cheese together then put that in the bottom of a greased 8x11 baking pan.  I sprinkled the chicken over the top and kinda sorta, mixed it in too (my mixing bowl was too small).  I covered the dish with foil and baked for 30 minutes in a 325 oven.  I then uncovered the dish, sprinkled on the rest of the cheese and baked for an additional 10 minutes at the same temperature.
We ate this in bowls with dollops of sour cream and sliced avocado.
I had my friend try it and she liked it also....she said she would probably add regular diced tomatoes instead of the Rotel brand because her family doesn't care for any spice at all. Really, I don't think you can mess this one up.

Comments