Creamy Ham and Pea Pasta Review

My take on this recipe was nothing like the original.  Imagine that........  I used ingredients that I had in my cabinet and decreased the amount of time that it took to make this dish.  Now, I'm positive that the original version is delicate and flavorful (just better different), and I would love to make it when I have the time to actually prepare dinner just before we are sitting down to eat.  Alas, this was not the case on this night.  So I made this up :o), using most of the ingredients that the original recipe calls for, but adding a spin with the things I had in my refrigerator and freezer.
Anyway, my family enjoyed this as did I....since I ate it for dinner two days in a row.  It's a definite "open for interpretation" type of dish!


Original Picture
Noodle and ham bake with basil in casserole dish
Much closer to what we ate!

Creamy Ham and Pasta
Tabby Style
16 oz long noodle pasta cooked al dente, drained
1 jar prepared Alfredo Sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
garlic powder to taste
black pepper to taste
cayenne or crushed red peppers to taste
dash of salt (if needed)
dried basil (I used about a tsp)
1 onion chopped
1/2 green pepper chopped
1/2-3/4 cup frozen petite peas
2 cups chopped ham
3 tbs butter, divided
1 cup Monterey Jack grated
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs

In a saucepan, melt 2 tbs butter, add onions and peppers, cook until vegetables are softened.  Add chopped ham and peas, allow to warm through.  We like our ham browned, watch carefully as it can burn easily.  Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions for al dente.  Mix pasta with chicken broth, spices, and Alfredo sauce.  Place pasta in a greased 11x14 baking dish.  Sprinkle with half the cheese.  Layer ham mixture over the top, add remaining cheese, and sprinkle with panko bread crumbs.  Slice remaining tablespoon of butter over the top of the casserole and bake covered at 350 for 15 minutes, remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until browned.
Note:  Casserole can be refrigerated after assembly, however, to maintain moisture, pour an additional 1/2 cup of chicken broth around the edges prior to baking.  Also increase cooking time to covered for 30 minutes, uncovered for 15-20 minutes.

Hope you enjoy.....play around with the vegetables, noodle type etc.  You might find a fantastic dish that could win the Betty Crocker/Pillsbury Cook Off :O)  
It's just dinner.....lol

Comments