CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE Smokey and Cheesy Buttermilk Baked Mashed Potatoes




Mashed potatoes really aren't my thing, but when I was looking for a recipe to make for the Crazy Cooking Challenge this month, this one immediately caught my eye.  They are a little extra work with the double cooking and all, but I think they are worth the effort.  This dish might just grace my table for the holidays.  Everyone here absolutely loved the smokey flavor of the paprika combined with the sharp taste of buttermilk.  Really simple ingredients combined for a great tasting dish!  If you think so too.....click the like button and vote for me ;o)  Thanks for stopping by!

SMOKEY AND CHEESY BUTTERMILK BAKED MASHED POTATOES
2 bags (about 2.5 lbs total) Honey Gold new potatoes
6oz cream cheese
6-8 tbs real butter
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup half and half or whole milk
1 tbs smoked paprika (I used regular didn't have the smoked version but I imagine it would be really good)
1 tsp black pepper or to taste
2 tsp salt or to taste
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2-1 cup grated medium cheddar cheese
Original recipe found here.

  1. Boil potatoes in salted water for approximately 15 minutes or until tender.  These tiny potatoes are so small, I left the skins on but then again....we love the skin.
  2. Place cooked potatoes in a stand mixer or large bowl able to accomodate a mixer.  I used my stand mixer bowl but had to manually smash the potatoes prior to whipping with the attachment.
  3. Add all ingredients to the bowl with the exception of the half and half or whole milk.  Whip until all ingredients are thoroughly combined adding half and half or whole milk until creamy and light and fluffy.  If desired you could use more buttermilk at this step if you would like.....
  4. Place potatoes in an oven proof 11 x 13 dish and top with cheese, bake at 350 until cheese is melted, about 15-20 minutes.
**Tip--If you don't have any buttermilk....make your own.  Just add 1 tbs white vinegar in a one cup measuring utensil, fill the cup with milk and allow to sit for a few minutes.  Voila, no extra trip to the store required!
    Not a great pic (really dark in my kitchen), but a really tasty dish :o)
    Thanks so much to the Picky Palate for sharing!

    Photobucket


    Comments

    1. Yummy! Love the smoky addition of the paprika! These look great!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Great sounding flavors in your potatoes.

      If you haven't already I'd love for you to check out my Crazy Cooking Challenge entry Aloo Tikki

      Lisa~~
      Cook Lisa Cook

      ReplyDelete
    3. My husband loves the smokiness of paprika so he would totally go for these! I'm part of the challenge too, #9.

      ReplyDelete
    4. looks really yummy! Great Choice for THE CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE!!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Yum! I'll bet the paprika is great in this recipe. Thanks for sharing this!

      ReplyDelete
    6. These look delicious! Love the combination of ingredients!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Hi Tabby,
      I just love the combination of your Cheese and seasons for this recipe. Great recipe for the Crazy Cooking Challenge, it looks delicious! Hope you are having a great day.
      Miz Helen
      #8

      ReplyDelete
    8. I love paprika and potatoes together. Yum!

      Jen #14
      Jenny's Cookbook

      ReplyDelete
    9. Oops, I think there might be a typo in your recipes. Did you use smoked paprika? Your recipe just states paprika, which isn't smokey at all.

      Anyway, I love anything with smoked paprika - Mmm, mmm.

      Hope you'll stop by and see my Deep-Fried mozzarella Stuffed Mashed Potato Balls.

      :)
      ButterYum

      http://butteryum.blogspot.com/2011/11/mozzarella-and-mashed-potato-balls.html

      ReplyDelete
    10. Thanks ButterYum...I appreciate the heads up :)

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment