Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup

This recipe was found on the back of the package of Publix brand green split peas.  I had the ingredients and the slow cooker made it completely "do-able" for me :o)  It is great served on its own or with a dob (is that a word) of sour cream and croutons on the top.
Picture of Slow-Cooker Split Pea Soup Recipe

SLOW COOKER SPLIT PEA SOUP
1 16oz package Publix Green Split Peas
2 cups diced, cooked ham
(I used a ham bone with lots of meat left for just this purpose)
3 carrots chopped
1/2 cup diced onions
2 ribs celery (including leaves) chopped
(I was fresh out, so I used a little celery salt)
2 cloves fresh garlic minced
1 bay leaf
12-15 sprigs fresh parsley
(none on hand used 1 tbs dried)
1 tbs seasoned salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 1/2 quarts or 6 cups water
fresh or seasoned croutons
dob of sour cream

Prepare ingredients.  Layer ingredients in slow cooker in order listed.  Do not stir mix.  Pour water gently over layers.  Cover and cook on HIGH 4-5 hours (or LOW 8-10 hours) until peas are soft.  Remove bay leaf; mash peas to thicken, if desired or stir to blend soup.  Serve with croutons and/or sour cream.
Tabby Changes--Since I used a ham bone, I allowed the mixture to cook for 2 hours, then removed bone and meat from the bone, then returned the meat to the cooker and cooked for an additional 3 hours.  I then used my immersion blender to combine the soup to a yummy green mush!

Comments