Powdered "Cream Of" Soup Review

I think it's going to work out all right!  I only made one half of the recommended amount just so that I could try out the mixture and see if it worked and if my family liked it.  I think the only thing I might change would be the amount of cornstarch so that any baked items would not be too soupy.  You see, I'm just not a fan of thin, runny casseroles and actually they kind of gross me out ;p  Also, what is powdered milk supposed to smell like?  I really don't know, and since my box was about to expire, I decided to NOT chance a food poisoning episode!

I made the Buffalo Chicken Soup using this dried mix and we really liked it.....no one is exhibiting any signs of a food borne illness yet...so the powdered milk must be okay!

Since things are always eaten before I get to use them for recipes, I had to improvise.  We only had about 3 tablespoons of hot sauce, so I added extra cayenne pepper and some chopped pickled jalapeno peppers with their juice.  We really didn't even think that the cheese was necessary so I left it out and saved us a few calories.  The soup was creamy and had a really nice un-processed flavor.  I was even able to portion some of it for the freezer.  Yes, my kids would rather have soup for breakfast than any of the sweet, bready things that are quick and readily available in most homes (including mine).  I'm not complaining because the whole pot of this creamy delight probably only cost around $3.50....and besides that it freezes great.  So when they have a desire....it's easy to get!

Comments