Newest Favorite Thing

Tonight I made a quick lasagna (it was supposed to go in the crockpot this morning) and since the local Publix store was out of the Prego BOGO , I decided to try something new.  As I was picking up produce and staple items from Aldi, I picked up a jar of their Reggano brand traditional pasta sauce.  I was expecting the sauce to taste pretty much like your standard Ragu, but to my surprise it is really good......much better than Ragu or the store brand.  
As I was attempting to obtain a picture of the jar on the Aldi website, I even noticed that it is organic.  At the price I paid it is a SUPER bargain!
AGAIN, Aldi surprises me :0)

LASAGNA
9 lasagna noodles
1 jar Reggano Traditional Sauce
1 8oz block Mozzarella cheese
1 small container Ricotta cheese (I used part skim)
Italian Seasoning
Dried Basil

In a 9x11 baking pan (I used glass), pour 1/3 of jarred pasta sauce.  Place 3 uncooked lasagna noodles. Top with 1/2 of container ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, a sprinkle of dried basil, and sprinkle of italian seasoning. Top with 1/2 of the remainder of the sauce. Repeat layer.  Finish casserole with remaining 3 lasagna noodles and the remaining sauce.  Add about 1/4 cup water to the jar of sauce shaking to get remaining sauce out of jar (and give more moisture), pour over.  Cover casserole with cheese.  Top with foil and bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 45 minutes.  Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.  Allow to rest about 10 minutes prior to serving.
(You don't need to allow to rest as long because the uncooked noodles absorb the sauce)

update:  All these items are on sale at Aldi this week! Yay! I think I'll stock up!


Comments