Creamy Potato Harvest Soup Review

I made this recipe at around 4 pm yesterday...kind of on a whim, as we were supposed to have a cook out with friends that fell through.  Oh well, because this is one that will definitely be made again and especially enjoyed on a chilly day.  The best part was that it was a planned meal so I had most of the ingredients on hand.  I did vary from the recipe a little bit as I used what was on hand.  Here's my version of this dish.
CREAMY POTATO HARVEST SOUP
6 small red potatoes chopped in to small "cookable" pieces
1/2 onion chopped
1 tsp granulated garlic
4 cups water
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup whole milk
2 tbs butter
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp black pepper
Combine the above in a soup pot and allow to come just to a boil, lower heat and cover.  Cook until potatoes are very tender.  Using a potato masher or immersion blender, blend until desired consistency.  
2 grated yellow squash
1 large grated carrot
1 can kidney beans rinsed and drained
8oz velveeta cubed (we used the mexican variety)
2tbs corn starch, mixed with water until smooth
Add the vegetables and allow to cook on a simmer until vegetables are tender stirring occasionally.  Add the cubed cheese and stir until cheese is melted in the soup.  Depending on your taste (I like a thick soup), bring the soup to a low boil and add corn starch stirring until thick.

As you can see from the original recipe this soup is completely modifiable to your taste.  I totally forgot to put the corn in the pot and we didn't miss it at all!  I didn't have zucchini so I used two yellow squash instead.  Since I had the grater out, I grated all of the vegetables.  So use your creativity and just enjoy this easy, versatile soup.

Comments