Italian Sausage with Green Peppers, Onions, and Homemade Marinara Sauce

Of course, no picture.  I really have been slacking lately about taking pictures when I make things in the kitchen.  It might be the fact that unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of time to cook or devote to the blog.  This meal was requested by my husband for Father's Day and of course I had to oblige.  
I'm sure that any favorite jarred sauce would also be good in this dish, but I used my Homemade Marinara Sauce to make it extra special.  It makes a large batch, so I got some freezer cooking in too!


1 package link style hot italian sausage
2 green peppers sliced thinly
2 small or one large vidalia sweet onion sliced thinly
1 tbs butter
1 1/2-2 cups marinara sauce


Place sausage links in a large pan, add enough water to just cover them.  Bring to a boil and skim the foam off and discard.  Turn the heat off and cover pan, allow to sit on the stove for about 30-40 minutes.  To prepare in advance, take sausages out of water and slice on the diagonal into bite size pieces, then refrigerate.   I also slice the onions and green pepper and refrigerate until time to prepare.  If making immediately, just follow the instructions below after slicing the meat.
PREPARATION
I use the same pan, after draining water and washing, add the peppers and onions and butter.  Cook over medium high heat until the peppers are bright in color and the onions are translucent.  Add sausage pieces back to the pan and allow them to fully cook and brown.  Add marinara sauce and allow to simmer over low heat for 5-10 minutes.  Can be eaten with pasta, in sub rolls, or just on its own.
*Note:  The reason for boiling the sausages is to remove the majority of the fat out of the meat.  I'm not a super huge fan of sausage, but when prepared this way....it's really good.



Comments