Homemade Tomato Soup

So the tomato soup recipe was a really easy freezer soup.  It was also flavorful after freezing.  I just made the recipe and poured into a container and stuck it in the freezer on Sunday.  I used one large can of crushed tomatoes with basil and pretty much used the amounts called for in the rest of the recipe.  This way I didn't need to use an immersion blender to make it smooth.  The onions were finely diced and added just a bit of texture.  To follow the original recipe go here, but with my embellishment skills, I came up with my version...and we enjoyed the result immensely.  If my tomato and basil plants continue to do well, I may have a fresh tomato version soon.

HOMEMADE TOMATO SOUP
1 onion finely diced
3 cloves garlic crushed
1 tbs butter
1 large can crushed tomatoes with basil
1 cup (approximately) homemade chicken stock
1 tsp salt
2 tsp honey (really a squirt out of our large jar)
2 cups whole milk
Fresh basil sliced thinly
Croutons or Crushed Crackers

Saute onion and garlic in a saucepan until soft and translucent.  Don't allow the garlic to brown.  Add tomatoes, honey, salt, and chicken stock.  Allow to simmer on low for approximately 30 minutes.  Turn heat off and allow tomato mixture to cool.  Add milk and mix well.  Place in a freezable container and put in the freezer.  To reheat, you could place container in the refrigerator the night before and heat up...but I forgot to do that and just added the lump to a pan and allowed it to defrost over medium heat, stirring frequently.  To serve place desired amount in a bowl and top with basil and croutons or crushed crackers.

Comments