White Chicken Chili

My Boy #1 added a little Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce


I entered this chili recipe in our friend's annual chili cook off and won 2nd place.....so I guess it's pretty good.  We all definitely seem to think it tastes great.  Hope you do too!
The original recipe has to be credited to my mom, Mary.  I've changed a few things but.....don't I always?


WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
2 cans Great Northern beans, drained
1 can Cannelini beans, drained
1 onion chopped
2 cans green chilis chopped
2-4 cloves of garlic chopped or pressed
1 tbs cumin
2 tsp oregano
6 cups chicken broth (either homemade or low sodium)
5 cups chicken chopped (3-4 breasts)
6 oz sharp cheddar cheese cubed
6 oz pepper jack cheese cubed
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
mashed potato flakes

Chop chicken breasts into small cubes.  Add 1 tbs olive oil to a non stick pan and brown chicken until golden, remove to a large pot.  If the chicken is bone-in, you may boil until cooked through and shred the chicken, reserving the broth for use in the chili.  In the same pan as the chicken was browned, saute the onion until tender.  Add the garlic, cumin, oregano, and chilis.  Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  In the large pot with the chicken, add the onion mixture, beans, and chicken broth.  Add salt and pepper and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.  Add cheeses, and cilantro and stir constantly until cheese is melted.  At this point, if the chili is not as thick as you would like add potato flakes 1 tbs at a time to desired consistency.
Serve with additional shredded cheese,cilantro, and tortilla strips on top if desired.

I think next time I make this, I'll add some chopped grape or plum tomatoes during the simmer time, I don't know....it just sounds good.

I've linked up this recipe to Tasty Tuesday and Full Plate Thursday.

Comments

  1. I am so happy that you could bring your White Chicken Chili today. It looks so good and I am looking forward to trying it. Thank you so much for coming to Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from Full Plate Thursday, love white chili, it is nice to find a recipe that does not call for a lot of fat to make a roux. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment