Lentil Soup

I made lentil soup today on the quick.  Our day was B U S Y!  We got up, got ready for church, went to church, went to lunch, dropped off my son's friend at home, came home, cleaned up, put up clothes, made a family list for the week, and started the soup. Took my son over to my Mom's house, went to Walgreen's, and Publix for a friend, and then did my nails. Finished the soup, did two loads of laundry, went to get gas....then came home and wrote this post. Whew, I'm almost ready to go back to work tomorrow.  Anways, I loosely followed this recipe and the family said I should have made more!


Lentil and Ham Soup

1 ham bone with a good amount of meat left on or 2 cups chopped ham
3 Cups Water
3 Cups Homemade Chicken Stock
(If I had used store bought the soup would have been too salty as the ham bone with meat was already pretty salty)
1 Onion chopped fine
2 Celery Ribs chopped fine
3 Carrots sliced thin
1 Cup Brown Lentils rinsed and drained

In a large pot place the water and ham bone (mine was frozen), allow to come to a boil and the meat to defrost.  Add the onion, celery, carrot, and chicken stock.  Allow to slowly boil approximately 15 minutes covered.  Remove bone and take the ham off, return chopped meat to the pot.  Add lentils and allow to simmer until vegetables and lentils are tender(approximately 30 minutes).   

 This is really good especially on a cold day.... and I even forgot to add the spinach.  Also, most of the ingredients are staple items so it makes for a very thrifty dish


This post(original post 1/9/11) is linked to beautyandbedlam.com.

Comments