Chickpea, Spinach, and Bacon Pasta

I've changed the recipe a bit since I first started making this dish and I think we like it even better.  I guess since I couldn't ever remember exactly how the recipe was to be made, I just changed it!
Chickpea, Spinach, and Bacon Pasta
5 slices of Lean Bacon Chopped
1 onion chopped
1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
1 container grape tomatoes sliced in half
4 cups fresh baby spinach
1 16 oz spaghetti or other long noodle cooked al dente
1 tbs butter
3-4 cloves garlic minced
1-2 tsp cumin
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup chicken stock (I used homemade so I added salt.  You may use more if you desire a thinner sauce)
1 tsp salt
Parmesan cheese as desired

In a large skillet, place bacon and onion.  Cook until bacon is crispy and onion is tender.  Drain any excess bacon fat.  Add minced or pressed garlic, cumin, butter, and red pepper flakes to the pan. Allow the garlic to cook for approximately 1-2 minutes, add chickpeas to the pan.  Allow the chickpeas to slightly brown. Add sliced tomatoes and cook until they start to release their juice.  Add the chicken stock and allow to come to a boil.  Add salt to taste.  While still boiling, add spinach and stir until wilted.  Recheck seasonings and simmer with lid askew until the sauce is slightly thickened.  Serve over al dente spaghetti noodles and top with desired amount of parmesan cheese.

This is our favorite way to have a "less meat meal". I bought a large amount of baby spinach, so we had a salad on the side with garlic toast. It also is very economical when combined with sale and pantry items.
YUM!

This post is linked to beautyandbedlam.com

Comments