Recipes I'm Gonna Try!

This recipe jumped off the page of Rachael Ray's magazine directly into my psyche.  I have NO idea which month or even year as I was in a physician's office.  However, I was lucky enough to obtain a copy so...I will type it exactly as its written.  I also know that changes are definitely in order for our family, but it SO looks promising.



BLACK BEAN AND AVOCADO BURRITOS WITH JICAMA CUCUMBER SLAW
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 15oz cans black beans, rinsed
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt and Pepper
4 burrito sized flour tortillas
1 avocado peeled and diced
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
1 tbs fresh lemon juice
1 english cucumber, cut into matchsticks
1/2 jicama peeled, thinly sliced, then cut into matchsticks


In a large pot, heat 1 tbs olive oil over medium heat.  Add the beans and garlic and season with salt and pepper.  Cook, mashing, until warmed, about 5 minutes.  Wrap the tortillas in a paper  towel and heat in the microwave for 1 minute.  Lay flat on a work surface and divide the beans, avocado and cheese among them; roll up like burritos.  Wrap in paper towels and microwave until the cheese is melted.  In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and remaining 2 tbs olive oil; add the cucumber and jicama and toss.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve with the burritos.


Now my family does not care for jicama, but shredded carrots would be nice.  However, the salad isn't necessary, as a simple green one would be a nice accompaniment.


I'm not a super big fan of the microwave, so I may try to bake these in the oven until the cheese melts.


These recipes come from a friend of a friend and aren't exact amounts but...after I make them I'll post what worked for me.


Basil Vinegarette


In a blender add

  1. Basil-Fresh washed and Dried
  2. Olive Oil
  3. Lemon Juice
  4. Salt 
  5. Black Pepper
Blend all together, serve over salad, use as a condiment or marinade


SPICY SANDWICH SPREAD


2 bunches fresh Cilantro washed and dried completely
2-3 Jalapenos 
4-5  Garlic Cloves
Olive Oil (I was told to "eye"it)
1/2 tsp Salt
Pinch of Cumin


In a blender or food processer, blend all ingredients adding olive oil to form a paste like spread.  Use a a dip with vegetables or as a spread for toasted bread.
Serving suggestion:  Whole wheat bread topped with spread, chopped onions, chopped bell peppers, and cheese.  Place in the toaster until cheese melts.



Comments