Who says I have to follow the rules?

I woke up yesterday feeling a bit ornery...probably has something to do with my list (psst did you know that I have to do laundry and that my machine has an attitude?)  I had decided that I was going to make this recipe with only a few changes due to lack of ingredients, but after doing the ham, making a cake etc, etc., I didn't feel like shredding potatoes with one more kitchen appliance that I would have to wash.  So, I improvised and made up my own recipe and it was pretty darn good!  Initially, I had started cooking beef chuck chunks with some beef broth so that they could substitute for the ground beef in the recipe that I had planned.  That was my base and here is the recipe I made!


MEXICAN BEEF BAKE
 1lb Chuck cubes or Stew beef
1 11oz Can Beef Broth
1 Cup Water 
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 Onion Chopped
Ground Pepper
Garlic Powder
Salt
1/2 Cup Salsa
1/4 Cup Pickled Jalapenos (optional)
1 Box Jiffy Cornbread Mix
1/2 11oz Can of Creamed Corn
1 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Sour Cream

Add oil to large frying pan.  Brown beef cubes with onion.  Add seasonings to taste adjusting salt as needed and dependent on homemade beef stock vs canned.  Allow beef to simmer covered, adding water as needed until tender approximately, 2 hours.  Place beef cubes in the bottom of a 9x11 deep baking dish.  Pour salsa over meat spreading evenly.  If desired place jalapenos over mixture. (We like it hot)
Mix cornbread according to package directions adding creamed corn and cheddar cheese to the mix.  Spread cornbread over the meat mixture.  Bake in a 400 degree oven until bread is cooked through, approximately 30-35 minutes. Top with sour cream if desired.
 
 My family enjoyed my creation, in fact.....as usual, there is none left!


Comments