Criss Cross Applesauce


Today, I am making applesauce to then make apple butter for holiday gifts.  I plan to can although I have to purchase the jars.  The first step is almost finished as you can see above.  The spoon is the finished product and it tastes yummy, I'm almost convinced to can the applesauce and call it quits.  My family, however wants apple butter so I guess that's the next step.

I obviously should invest in a food mill as scraping the bits through the sieve it just a tad labor intensive. Although, it only took about 30 minutes total for a 1/4 bushel.  I haven't completed completed the spices yet but I am loosely following a recipe on   http://www.pickyourown.org/applebutter.htm.  I still have about 1/4 bushel of Pink Lady apples left and I plan to make apple pie filling,  fried apples, and have some for lunches and snacks.  A big THANKS to Mom and Dad for bringing these to me from their vacation.

Comments