Cheeseburger Chowder

I have been attempting to keep my teens from eating chips, chips, and more junk over the last few weeks and since the cooler weather is upon us......I have actually been succeeding.  The biggest player in my new repertoire has been soup.  Now, I haven't always been particularly fond of soups so I'm trying new recipes to tempt my palate.  I found the following recipe here and decided to give it a try.  With a few "Tabby changes" and substitutions due to availability, I have found a "keeper" that should provide breakfasts/lunches for a day, and another easy freezer meal!

CHEESEBURGER CHOWDER
1-1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 small onion chopped
12 oz Velveeta (I used queso blanco, and mexican varieties)
1 pkg Simply Potatoes Hash Browns
4 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
cayenne pepper

Brown hamburger and onion until no pink remains, drain.  Place 4 cups milk, hash browns, and velveeta into a large dutch oven type of pot.  Allow cheese to melt over medium to medium high heat until melted.  Don't allow the milk, cheese, potato mixture to boil.  Add hamburger back to the pot and add seasonings.  Allow to simmer over low heat approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Top with croutons, extra shredded cheese, and green onions if desired.

The end :o)
It's very flavorful and could be a super simple supper as I'm sure it heats up beautifully!

Comments