Pumpkin Enchilada Review

Pumpkin Enchiladas????
When I first saw this recipe on a Menu Plan Monday post,
I thought Huh???  But when I really put my synapses to use,
I realized that pumpkin is just a squash and squash is really
versatile, Right?
My youngest son has bet me $40 that this won't
be anything that he ever eats...but what he doesn't know or doesn't
remember is our one bite rule.  He has to try a bite and then if
he doesn't care for the flavor he can make himself a peanut butter 
sandwich.  I'm thinking he is going to like these, even though they are orange
 (which was his main complaint) since
I tasted the sauce and have to say it's pretty good!
The picture above came from newlyweds-blog.com, and here's the 
picture of our finished product.

I didn't purchase the queso fresco because frankly, I couldn't find
it in my local grocery store.  I have seen it numerous times before,
so they must have decided to discontinue the product.  I don't think it mattered at all since
Monterey Jack is a mild mannered cheese and complimented the 
enchiladas wonderfully.
Here's to trying "weird" things and to $40 dollar bets :)
Just a FYI, the betting, non trying boy had 3 helpings!

PUMPKIN ENCHILADAS
(Tabby Style)
1/2 diced onion
1 tbs or 2 cloves garlic chopped
2 tbs pickled jalapenos chopped
2 tbs butter
2 cups chicken chopped (from freezer)
1 small can chopped green chilis
1 can pureed pumpkin
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup chicken stock
2 tsp chili powder
3 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp cilantro
6 flour  tortillas
 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
In a skillet melt two tablespoons butter and saute onion, garlic, jalapenos until onion is tender.  Do this over low to medium heat in order to keep garlic from burning, stirring frequently.  Add chicken and chilis to skillet and then remove from heat.  
In a large bowl whisk together pumpkin, milk, chicken stock, and spices until mixed well.
Spoon about half of the pumpkin mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish (lasagna size pan).
Fill each tortilla with about 3 tbs of the chicken mixture rolling tightly and placing them seam down in the pan.  Top with remaining pumpkin mixture, then shredded cheese.
Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes until bubbly.

Comments