The Best Chili In The World

I absolutely thought it was close......but alas it was a losing concoction.  However, the crockpot was over half empty which means it is yummy, just not as yummy as the winners!  When I made this as a test recipe, I only used approximately 1.5 lbs of a chuck/pork meatloaf mix which actually worked out better in my opinion.  For the competition, I used the called for amount of meat and also added a can of pink beans that were rinsed and drained. I'm just one of those people who thinks chili must have beans.  The flavor of this chili is slightly sweet with a nice spice that can be heated up spice wise as much as you like.  It will be my go to recipe for the family from now on and.....I think I'll just tweak it for next year and try again.  We'll see. (sorry about the all caps....a glitch I couldn't figure out)

I'm pretty sure I found this recipe at the Easy Recipes website, sorry for not having a direct link but I did copy it exactly.
My soup entry did bring home a prize though!  Stay tuned for my next post with the recipe.  Really good!

Ingredients:
2 1/2 lb. lean chuck, ground
1 lb. lean pork, ground
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup finely chopped onion
8 oz. hunt's tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 can beer (12 oz.)
3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 Tablespoons instant beef bouillon (or 6 cubes)
2 Tablespoons cumin, ground
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons oregano leaves
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon coriander, ground
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon Louisiana hot sauce
1 teaspoon cornmeal
1 teaspoon flour
1 teaspoon warm water

Directions:
1. In a large saucepan brown 1 1/4 pounds of the ground meat (the beef and the pork), drain the fat.
2. Remove meat (the beef and the pork). Brown the rest of the ground meat, drain all but 2 tablespoons of the fat.
3. Add the garlic and onion, cook and stir until tender.
4. Add the other half of the meat and the tomato sauce, water, beer, chili powder, bouillon, cumin, paprika, oregano, sugar, coriander, cocoa, and hot sauce. Mix well.
5. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered , for 2 hours.
6. In a small bowl, stir together the cornmeal and flour, then add the warm water and mix well.
7. Stir into chili and cook, covered, for an additional 20 minutes.


Comments